Braised Beef with Red Wine22.10.2018
A wonderful, rich stew recipe, courtesy of Waitrose. Perfect for the cooler weather.
Drizzle 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar in at the end of cooking to add extra rich flavour. Try adding in a 250g pack chestnut mushrooms, halved, for the last half hour.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 70g Waitrose Farm Assured Cubetti Di Pancetta
- 400g pack Waitrose Irish Stew Mix (find in the chiller)
- 700g Waitrose British Beef Diced stewing steak
- 2 Bay leaves
- ½ bottle red wine
- 1 tbsp Cooks' Ingredients Nonpareille Capers, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC, gas mark 3. Place the oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the pancetta, then cook until lightly browned.
- Add the stew mix to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until browned. Stir in the beef with the bay leaves, and season.
- Add the wine, bring to the boil then cover and place in the oven for 2 hours until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if the dish gets too dry.
- Just before serving stir in the capers. Cook for 1 minute then season.
- Serve piping hot with creamy mashed potatoes.