Make a change from standard roasts and try this delicious grouse.
This roast grouse recipe comes from Richard Corrigan. For more of his recipes, you can buy his books here.
- 4 red grouse (oven ready)
- 3 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 150g foie gras
- 1 bunch thyme
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 bulb of garlic
- ½ punnet blackberries
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 1/2 pt brown chicken stock
- 100g chicken livers
- 50g butter
- Ground nut oil
- Pre heat the oven to 180C
- Stuff each grouse with 2 cloves of garlic and some sprigs of thyme (reserve half the bunch for later).
- Heat some oil in a pan and seal the birds all over until golden brown. Cover with the bacon rashers, season with pepper and roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Bring the chicken stock up to simmer. Remove the breast and legs from the cooked grouse, place the legs and carcasses into a pan with the stock, allow to infuse over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Sweat the shallots garlic and remaining sprigs of thyme in some oil, leave to cool.
- Pre heat the grill to a medium-high heat.
- Chop the chicken livers & foie gras until smooth, then add to the cooled shallot mixture. Spread this onto the sliced bread.
- Gently heat the butter in a pan and fry (bread-side down) until golden and crisp.
- Place under the grill for 2-3 minutes to cook the liver.
- Strain the stock and add the blackberries, season to taste.
- Serve the grouse alongside the liver en croute and blackberry sauce, and some game chips (thinly sliced fried potatoes, seasoned with rosemary salt)